Sunday, July 31, 2011

The last day of the first year

Holy crap. I can't believe 12 months went by already. So quickly. And so much has happened in that time. Numerous trips to Kyoto to see my girlfriend, parties in Sendai and around Miyagi, going to Hokkaido, Tokyo, Disney, Osaka, Kobe, Universal Studios, and evacuating from Miyagi due to the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami. I also managed to buy the car of my dreams, and just last week I managed to earn my Japanese Driver's License!

I have made tons of new friends here, foreigners and Japanese people, (college) students and working adults, English teachers and government employees. I've eaten the best foods Japan has to offer, from Hokkaido ramen to Hiroshima okonomiyaki. Osaka takoyaki to Matsushima sushi. Even Kobe beef. What a great time.

So I'm here in Tokyo right now as an orientation assistant. It's incredibly invigorating to meet the new JETs and help out with showing them the ropes. There is a lot of wisdom I can share with them, and there is still a lot more to learn. Time for another run through a year in the JET Program! Round 2, FIGHT!

Word of the day: つづく「続く」 "tsudzuku," which means, "to continue" and is often at the end of a television serious to indicate the continuation of a story. Analogous to the phrase, "To be continued."

No comments:

Post a Comment